Skip to content ↓

Financial Support

Welfare & Benefits

Information on welfare benefits, debt and money advice, including the council's Housing Benefit and Crisis Support schemes

Newcastle City Council support page

What to do if your income doesn’t cover your costs

If you can’t afford to pay your bills or debts, try not to borrow money as you could end up in a worse situation.

Everyone’s situation is different. Get advice about your options. There are services in Newcastle that can help you with: debt, reducing your bills, claiming welfare benefits to increase your income. This could make a difference to your quality of life. Keep reading for more details.

Support for people on a low income tells you more about services in Newcastle that can help you manage your money, avoid getting into debt, access bank accounts and affordable credit.

Struggling to pay your bills

Check if you can move to a cheaper supplier for essential services at home. You may be able to get a better deal using comparison websites such as:

If you’re struggling to pay your bills contact your provider. They may be able to offer you a discount or a repayment plan.

Northumbrian Water may be able to offer you a discount on your bill. Phone 0345 733 5566

There are social tariffs available for broadband, landline telephones and mobile phones 


Debt advice and budgeting support

Money Matters are Newcastle City Council’s debt and budgeting team. They provide specialist debt help and advice. Email or phone 0800 1707 008

Citizens Advice Newcastle provide free, confidential, independent and impartial advice. Email or phone 0191 2292750

Read more on Dealing with debt on InformationNOW

Debt help from Newcastle City Council.

Check you’re getting all the benefits you can 

Check that you are getting the full amount of Welfare benefits and tax credits support that you are entitled to online using:

Newcastle Welfare Rights Service give advice to people in priority groups including those over 65. They have self-help material on their website.

People who receive Universal Credit speak to your Universal Credit Work Coach about a referral for specialist Personal Budgeting Support if you are struggling to manage your living costs.

Where to get benefit advice has a full list of benefit advice services available across Newcastle.


Social housing or housing associations

Speak to your housing provider if you rent your home and are struggling to pay your rent. They can give you advice and support. There are a number of housing providers in Newcastle such as:

Your Homes Newcastle (YHN) tenants can get money and budgeting advice. Email or phone 0191 278 8600

Byker Community Trust give money and benefits advice to their tenants. Email or phone 0800 533 5442

Karbon Homes Money Matters team support their tenants with issues with paying rent, energy costs, pension credit and welfare benefits. Email or phone 0808 164 0111


Food Support

If you are struggling to pay for food or cook meals there are places in Newcastle that can help you with:

Emergency food parcels Find out which foodbanks are open during the week and how to use them. You may need to be referred by an organisation registered with the foodbank as such as the Council, a support worker, a charity or a GP surgery.

Free meals or cheap food cooked by volunteers. You may be able to sit in to eat a hot meal or take it away. Find out more about what’s available. This includes food pantries and affordable or ‘pay as you feel’ supermarkets.

Free school meals for children of school age. There is some support during school holidays too. Read more to find out if you are eligible and how to apply.


For furthur advice and support click the link below:

Information Now