Today we are looking at adding and subtracting two fractions which have different denominators (bottom numbers). However they are both in the same times table, so we can easily make them the same - we looked at this last week when we were ordering and comparing fractions, the only difference is we are taking it a step further by adding/subtracting them.
You will need to:
- Identify which fraction has the biggest denominator - leave it, do not change/touch that one.
- Work out what you have to multiply the other fraction by to make the denominators the same
- Remember, whatever you do to the bottom, you do to the top!
- Now that both fractions have the same denominator, you can add/subtract them - yay!
- Remember, double check that your answer is a mixed number.